Employee Benefit Views

ASPPA rails against ‘Gang of Six’ debt ceiling proposal

Reprints
Posted July 22, 2011 by By Kelley M. Butler at 11:56AM. Comments (11)

Congressional lawmakers appear to be far from enamored with a bipartisan Senate proposal to reduce the deficit, lift the debt ceiling and balance the budget, and a major retirement benefits group has come out against the idea as well, saying it will harm retirement plan participants.

Known as the “Gang of Six” proposal, after the six senators who crafted it — Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), Mike Crapo (R-Idaho), Saxby Chambliss (R-Ga.), Richard Durbin (D-Ill.), Kent Conrad (D-N.D.) and Mark Warner (D-Va.) — the plan would:
* Cap federal agency budgets (including defense) for the next four years.
* Slow the growth of Social Security benefits by curbing the program’s inflation adjustment.
* Streamline income tax rates to range from 8% to 29%.
* Trimming certain tax breaks, including deductions for mortgage interest, retirement savings, charitable giving, high-cost health plans and tax credits for families with children.

While lawmakers mostly are teeing off on the plan’s entitlement cuts and tax hikes, Brian H. Graff, executive director and CEO of The American Society of Pension Professionals & Actuaries, takes issue with the proposal’s cuts to tax deductions for retirement savers.

“We are very concerned that the proposal lumps retirement savings incentives, which are tax deferrals not exclusions, into the same pot as other incentives classified as tax expenditures,” Graff said in a statement.

“In reality, traditional retirement savings tax incentives don’t eliminate income tax on retirement savings, they defer payment of income tax until workers retire and benefits are paid out. The cost of the incentives is overstated because most of the deferred taxes will be paid after the short-term window used in Washington’s budget scoring. Failure to recognize this bad budget math could decimate savings rates where Americans save most—at work.”

What do you think? If Congress had to do whatever you told them on this issue, what would you say? Share your thoughts in the comments.

11 Comments

Posted by: William A | July 20, 2012 8:02 PM

Thanks a lot again for a lot of things. vinyl wall quotes for bathroom I need this article to complete my assignment in the college. wall decals I was searching some information. wall murals cheap Thanks a lot for enjoying this post with me.

Posted by: Jake B | July 19, 2012 4:52 PM

I have been reading your posts for a few weeks. CPA Network Thanks a lot again for a lot of things. Cigarettes Affiliate i like the fastidious design of your website as well. Affiliate CPA Network Thanks for the heads-up. This was very informative and knowledgeable.

Posted by: Mary O | July 19, 2012 12:37 AM

The detail ........ it makes me feel like an unworthy artist. Bring the Fresh review This is a really good read for me.

Posted by: William A | July 18, 2012 8:02 PM

Youve got a design here thats not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what youre saying. orlando seo consultant Nice to be visiting your site again, it has been months for me. orlando seo companies I have read most of your posts and got a lot from them. orlando seo company I really wanted to send a small word to say thanks to you for the fantastic points you are writing on this site.

Posted by: Jake B | July 18, 2012 1:16 AM

Is there any way you would write a guest post on my site? amy Probably you should read your post again, it does not make sense. awesome diet I have read most of your posts and got a lot from them. ladgljg Lots of thanks for another valuable post.

Posted by: William A | July 16, 2012 12:09 AM

I have read most of your posts and got a lot from them. greenhouse halls Thanks a lot for that! BTW, just bookmarked this. best greenhouses This is a smart . I mean it. greenhouses halls You have a very impressive writing style.

Posted by: Jake B | July 14, 2012 5:13 PM

I just found your website a few days ago and I have been reading through it regularly. http://steroidalternatives.co.za/howtoloseweightfast.html You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. dianabol treat them as you want to be treated that assumes they have the same values as you! They may not. how to lose weight fast Thanks for the heads-up. This was very informative and knowledgeable.

Posted by: William A | July 13, 2012 9:25 PM

The detail ........ it makes me feel like an unworthy artist. read more You also know how to make people rally behind it, obviously from the responses. pink ribbon baseball cap Lots of thanks for another valuable post. click here Your post certainly has help me.

Posted by: Jake B | July 12, 2012 11:51 PM

I have been reading your posts for a few weeks. Please email me if you are interested in a guest post Please tell your kids to say: 'screw drugs!'

Posted by: dana r | June 19, 2012 4:33 PM

I am really impressed by this blog! Very clear explanation of issues is given and it is open to everyone. thanks for posting this work of yours..this is very good! Buy Dissertation | Dissertation Help | Buy Essay | Life Experience Degrees

Posted by: peter v | June 18, 2012 12:35 PM

I heard about the "gang of six" and their actions from a friend that works at the City Hall, he said a lot of people are going to suffer from this proposal. The politicians must think how to save some money not from raising the income tax rates, I read on ProLighting.com about this and there are other ideas that could be put into practice. A bad budget math could ruin everything, at least they could think twice before making a law.

Add Your Comments...

Already Registered?

If you have already registered to Employee Benefit Views, please use the form below to login. When completed you will immediately be directed to post a comment.

Forgot your password?

Not Registered?

You must be registered to post a comment. Click here to register.

Welcome to Employee Benefit Views!

Welcome to Employee Benefit Views, brought to you by Employee Benefit News and Employee Benefit Adviser. Throughout the day, take a break from the grind to read news and view posts from EBN staffers and guest bloggers.

You’ll also find quick links to our other great content like EBN’s "Five Minutes With...", top stories and web events.

So RSS us, click over a couple times each day and send comments to let us know what you think.

RSS US!