Employee Benefit Views

Teleworkers confess biggest at-home distractions

Reprints
Posted September 29, 2011 by By Kelley M. Butler at 10:46AM. Comments (11)

I’m working from home today, and I won’t lie — it’s a tough day. I’m still exhausted from a long three days at Benefits Forum & Expo, and returned home to gray weather and scores of to-do items that had been piling up while I was gone. I’m tired and overwhelmed, and it would be easy and wonderful to chuck it all and go veg out on my couch.

It would be too easy, in fact. So, instead of trying to work from the living room I’m fighting temptation by working from the island in my kitchen — lots of light, a high-backed chair and no remote control for as far as my eyes can see. So far, so good.

However, according to a new CareerBuilder survey, some of my fellow teleworkers are giving in to their darker angels. The survey finds that teleworkers confessed to their top distractions when working from home:
- Household chores (31%).
- TV (26%).
- Pets (23%).
- Errands (19%).
- Internet (18%).
- Children (15%).

In fact, some are so distracted (perhaps by all of the above), that 17% of Americans who telework at least part of the time spend one hour or less actually working.

“To avoid situations where teleworkers aren't putting in the necessary time, managers need to be clear about expectations and establish daily objectives,” says Rosemary Haefner, vice president of HR at CareerBuilder. “The autonomy of working from home can be very rewarding so long as it doesn't diminish productivity."

Haefner recommended the following tips to help teleworkers work as efficiently as possible:
- Keep a normal routine.
- Find the best spot to work.
- Stay connected to colleagues.
- Plan breaks.
- Work at a coffee shop to maintain human contact.

What are your tricks for staying productive when working from home? Share your thoughts in the comments.

11 Comments

Posted by: William A | July 21, 2012 4:19 AM

I really enjoyed reading this and seeing what it was like. wall quotes for bedroom This is a smart . I mean it. vinyl wall quotes Its nice to find a site thats written by a human, rather than autoposting garbage. vinyl wall quotes for kitchen You have a very impressive writing style.

Posted by: Jake B | July 19, 2012 7:02 PM

Thanks for posting this informative article Affiliate Network Your post certainly has help me. Affiliate CPA Network treat them as you want to be treated that assumes they have the same values as you! They may not. Cigarettes Affiliate This is a smart . I mean it.

Posted by: Mary O | July 19, 2012 2:57 AM

You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. Bring the Fresh reviews Thanks a lot for that! BTW, just bookmarked this.

Posted by: William A | July 18, 2012 11:15 PM

Youve got a design here thats not too flashy, but makes a statement as big as what youre saying. orlando seo companies Lots of thanks for another valuable post. Winter park web design company You have a very impressive writing style. orlando seo consultant You have a very impressive writing style.

Posted by: Jake B | July 18, 2012 5:36 AM

I work on a site that is a lot like yours. click You have so much knowledge about this issue, and so much passion. diet website while searching in Google came to know about your site. this site stinks I have read most of your posts and got a lot from them.

Posted by: William A | July 16, 2012 2:35 AM

This article truly impressed me. greenhouse sale I really enjoyed reading it and I think need to read more on this topic. southwestgreenhouses Thanks for the heads-up. This was very informative and knowledgeable. greenhouses uk Its opportunity are so fantastic and working style so speedy.

Posted by: Jake B | July 13, 2012 4:27 AM

I have read most of your posts and got a lot from them. I am very enjoyed for this post. Please tell your kids to say: 'screw drugs!'

Posted by: dana r | June 18, 2012 6:41 PM

I am really impressed by this blog! Very clear explanation of issues is given and it is open to everyone. thanks for posting this work of yours..this is very good! Buy Essay | Life Experience Degrees

Posted by: Geri D | October 3, 2011 4:08 PM

In my view, working at home is not a one size fits all arrangement. Productivity level does require an autonomous work ethic and establishing a routine. I did so on a once a week basis many years ago before it was as commonplace as it currently is. I maintained the same work at home scheduled day and prepared well in advance what my tasks would be. I also enjoyed the advantage of being able to substitute commute time for productive work time, being able to work later and with no interruptions, maintained continuity regarding work flow.

Posted by: Daphne R | October 3, 2011 1:36 PM

I am a telecommuter for 6 years now and I could not disagree more with your "survey results". I also take great exception to the implication that teleworkers are less productive.I know I am my colleagues who also telecommute are more highly productive, effective and efficient as direct result of telecommuting versus being in an office. I take exception to the idea that I sepend time in my work doing chores - I don't and my colleagues dont. We work longer days - albeit with the flexibility to say take lunch at 3pm instead of noon. O get more done in a single day in my home office than I ever got done in an office environment. I can concentrate more, produce better products for my employer and being engaged way more than otherwise.I highly value the trust and flexibility my employer gie me by allowing me to telecommute. So please don't provide such an imbalanced and improper view of what telecommuting is all about. From my experiences - its high productivity and efficiency and not chores and Oprah re-runs.

Posted by: Jean R | October 3, 2011 10:59 AM

I am an independent cosultant and to track my tasks, I use a free software called toodledo. To track my time, I have a "stopwatch" on my computer that I also located with free software called timeleft. These to tools really help me understand and track my productivity. Additionally, I would argue that a company's fellow office workers are wasting just as much, if not more, time on the internet. It is hard not to get sucked into reading and responding. This comment is actual "proof."

Add Your Comments...

Already Registered?

If you have already registered to Employee Benefit Views, please use the form below to login. When completed you will immediately be directed to post a comment.

Forgot your password?

Not Registered?

You must be registered to post a comment. Click here to register.

Welcome to Employee Benefit Views!

Welcome to Employee Benefit Views, brought to you by Employee Benefit News and Employee Benefit Adviser. Throughout the day, take a break from the grind to read news and view posts from EBN staffers and guest bloggers.

You’ll also find quick links to our other great content like EBN’s "Five Minutes With...", top stories and web events.

So RSS us, click over a couple times each day and send comments to let us know what you think.

RSS US!